PharmCAS Community

View Only
  • 1.  US Dept of Education regulation: 34 CFR 668.43 (a) (5) (v) new July 1 mandates

Posted 9 days ago
    Edited by Jessica Kerr 8 days ago

Good afternoon:

I am working with our compliance officers on our campus with the new July 1 regulations and would like to learn how you are handling your compliance with the US DOE regulation 34 CFR 668.43 (a)(5)(v) regarding institutions to publically disclose information whether programs meet the education requirements for professional licensure/certification in all states/territories.

At what point in your admission phase do you disclose this information?  Is it when the apps come to you as verified?  Is it when you make an admission offer? Do you also do it at a later point when they change their address with the University due to moves?  Do you also do it when they are getting ready for boards?  

Do you base it on their current and permanent address in PharmCAS?  Do you ask a custom question to know what states they are interested in practicing in for the future?  Are you willing to provide any of your school's best practices or language that I can share with my team to help ensure we are practicing ethically and appropriately while not scaring prospective candidates away due to language that they attest to? 

I am learning all of the new July 1 changes so I apologize if I do not seem well-versed in this conversation.  

Thanks in advance,   
    Jess Kerr
    SIUE School of Pharmacy

------------------------------
    Jessica Kerr
    Associate Dean
    Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
    Edwardsville IL

• 2.  RE: US Dept of Education regulation: 34 CFR 668.43 (a) (5) (v) new July 1 mandates

Posted 2 days ago

Good morning Dr. Kerr, 

On the PharmCAS application, we do have a custom question, where applicants acknowledge the following: 

By entering your name you certify the following statements: USF is a "SARA" institution (http://nc-sara.org/what-are-studentbenefits) which allows greater access for student education offering. I understand that the University of South Florida (USF)
    programs prepare students to sit for applicable licensure in Florida. In order to comply with U.S. Department of Education
    regulations regarding higher education and professional licensure, USF is required to make the following disclosure with
    respect to professional licensure outside the state of Florida. USF cannot confirm whether a particular program meets
    requirements for professional licensure outside of the state of Florida. Please contact applicable licensure board(s) in any
    state you may pursue licensure prior to beginning the academic program in order to determine whether the program meets
    licensure requirements. It is the student's responsibility to confirm program eligibility for licensure in any state outside of
    Florida.

When an applicant is admitted. We also link them to a page on our website that has this same information: https://health.usf.edu/pharmacy/admissions/apply/requirements. This webpage is visible to all candidates at all times, so that if they are exploring our program, from the very beginning, they will see this information. 

Lastly, when a candidate accepts our offer, and they deposit with us, we have an acceptance form, where they read the same information and acknowledge it again. 

I hope this helps. 

Sincerely, 

Gwen Chretien
    Director
    University of South Florida
    Tampa FL
    813-974-8144